Corona virus is no longer just about one becoming infected; it is more about you being a vessel of contact with others. This is about you potentially spreading the virus to those who cannot survive it. This is about caring for each other. The spread COVID-19 is more than just the physiological symptoms, it may affect our mental health. Lets throw some light on how Corona pandemic is triggering Mental health issues:
- Firstly, the ongoing pandemic threat has changed the basic mindset of human beings from “living” to “survival”, creating a situation of existential crisis.
- The global panic has increased health anxiety.
- As precaution one has to keep repeating behaviors of washing hands, sanitizing and maintaining hygiene, which is leading to development of OCD traits.
- The wide spread of the COVID-19 has caused the Global economy to go down, hence decreasing job and financial security, establishing a depressive trend globally.
- Fear of losing loved ones has triggered the feelings of hopelessness and despair.
- Quarantine makes it even more difficult to distract oneself from existing mental health issues. The current scenarios demand isolation , promoting social withdrawal and therefore inducing feelings of loneliness among people.
The spread of corona virus has increased anxiety among population about the outbreak, the feelings of anxiety, distress and concern many people may be experiencing in relation to the corona virus (COVID-19) and offers the following well- being advice, health experts say. WHO Stated “Avoid looking, studying or listening to information that purpose you to sense nerve-racking or distressed; are looking for facts particularly to take realistic steps to put together your plans and protect yourself and cherished ones, Seek statistics updates at particular times at some stage in the day a couple of times. The surprising and close to-consistent circulate of information reports about a virulent disease can reason all of us to feel worried.” Don’t panic by checking updates on the impact of virus. Also ensure that you check only the reliable sources of information. Recheck the credibility for source of information before sharing it. Untrue information might cause hue and cry among others. However, it is normal to feel overwhelmed due to the break out of such cases but panic is surely not the solution. Especially if you are suffering of a chronic illness stress may weaken your immune system an make you vulnerable to the virus.This might feel difficult or stressful. But there are lots of things you can try that could help your well-being. Following ideas may help you think and feel better in this state of panic. Here what you can do about it:
- If you've been asked to stay at home and avoid other people, it might feel more difficult than usual to take care of your mental health and well-being. Indulge in indoor activities, do gardening and make the most of this time.
- Don’t judge people based on their ethnicity aka not every Chinese is infected. Try to avoid assumptions regardless of race, culture.
- It is essential to make the children and others in the family aware about the situation without really causing an alarming state. Spread awareness don’t be misguided by any available information.
- Some mental health problems can cause difficult feelings or behavior to do with washing or hygiene. If you experience this, you might find it hard to hear advice about washing your hands.
If this is making you feel stressed or anxious, here are some things you could try
- Don’t keep re-reading the same advice if this is unhelpful for you.
- Breathing exercises can help you cope and feel more in control.
- Set limits, like washing your hands for the recommended 20 seconds.
- lan something to do after washing your hands. This could help distract you and change your focus.
People may tend to experience periods of loneliness or isolation whether or not infected with the disorder. It is advisable to stay connected to your friend and family, not through direct contact but at least through phone calls or social media. You may also connect HOPEQURE helpline for emotional support. Don’t Lose Your Calm In The Scenario Of Pandemic
Is Corona virus taking a toll on Our Mental Health